Wednesday 16 April 2014

An Organist's Prayer

Came across this recently which I hope all musicians might say "amen" to



An Organist’s Prayer
Dear Lord,
I am here to support the congregation, not to overwhelm them:
May I play quietly enough to hear their singing, firmly enough to keep it alive but not so fast that they can’t get their breath between verses.  
May I allow enough time for them to find the hymn before starting the first verse.
Help me to do my homework properly, to avoid choosing the wrong tune (especially if it’s one I like), to check that it is not pitched too high and that I know how many verses there are.
Lead me, O Lord, when I don’t know which verse they are singing, when my eyes have skipped to the wrong line and when I can’t find the chorus.
Before the service, may I play quietly enough to encourage conversation and remember that if I play louder they won’t be able to hear each other.   At the end, remind me, O Lord, that all the wrong notes in the concluding voluntary will only have been noticed by you!
On some occasions, O Lord, I know that the words and the music and the singers have come together and I believe it must please you.  
May I remember also that you are Lord of peace: help me to resist the temptation to intrude on silence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment