Monday 16 August 2010

What goes round comes round

The service to licence me as Priest in Charge is Sunday 7th November. I thought that as it's bonfire weekend we could follow the service with a bonfire celebration. I imagined that I was coming up with an innovative idea - something new and different.
However I've recently got hold of some old copies of the Parish Magazine and to my suprise I see that when, after restoration work, Hanley Childe Church was reopened in November 2000 the service was accompanied by a bonfire party!

I should have remembered the words of Ecclesiastes
Is there anything of which one can say,
"Look! This is something new"?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.

And perhaps that's a good way of understanding church ministry - looking to see what has already been done, what has worked in the past and what can be tweaked to work in the future. I think there's somethjing about rediscovering what has served the church in its 2000 year history and looking to see what will work in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Team Valley Vicar,

    Very nicely put. However, I still think its a good idea. After all, might as well start in a big blaze of glory.

    I'm knitting a nice bobble hat even as I type this.

    Mavis Waterbutts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knitting and typing at the same time! That is what I call multitasking!

    ReplyDelete